jueves, 24 de febrero de 2011

When a dream becomes a nightmare (story of an immigrant in Panama)

Last year, when doing my internship in Panama, i had the chance to meet a colombian girl named Luz. It was a sunny sunday and i went to the salon because i wanted to do my nails.
When i got there and asked if there was someone free, the manager (a panamenian 50 years old woman) said: "Yes, thereĀ“s a colombian".

Luz introduced her self and i could perceive she felt relieved when she realized i was colombian too. She was tall, with red hair and big, brown eyes. She began doing my nails and asked me what was i doing there, i told her about my job and she asked: "But are you legal here?", she was surprised when i answered that i was and then she began telling me about her...

"I'm 27, and i was bored in Medellin, i had my motorcycle there and it was the only asset i had for working. Ilm hair styler and i used to visite my clients in their own homes.. until when i got robbed. There was when i lost my job because without the scooter, the transportation became really expensive and its wasnt worthy. So, i dedicated to look for a job and i never could get one. There was when a friend's friend told me about Panama and the huge amount of money i coud get here. She told me i needed no visa, and as a tourist i could stay  for a month..then, i just had to hide from immigration police and get a job, earn in dollars, save, and go back to colombian with the amount of money necessary to establish my own beauty salon... so i left everything and i came.
Im here since three months ago and at the beginning i was really excited and happy. The lady who told me about this, contacted me with a friend of her and this friend received me for two weeks while i got a job...but the situation wasnt as easy as i thought.. i visited every salon in the down town and they werent interested in new personnel. After those two weeks, the host told me i had to pay or to leave...and i had no money at all so  i had to beg and implore for more time... se was almost feeding me with some rice and soup at night.. and during the day i could only buy some bread.. i cried a lot and felt desperate...i had never have to beg for nothing.. and i began missing my life in Colombia but i insisted  and tought on how coward would i look like if i came back that soon... so i tried to handle it longer...
Until when i found a guy who knew Karla (the salon owner) and she hired me. I thought i had found the remedy and i was really thankful...but the rest of the people here (the other 5 girls; 4 panamenians, 1 from Dominic Republic) werent good at me...they began doing comments and jokes against me calling me hore or saying they were going to call the police...i've cried a lot and now that, on top of that, the owner is paying me half of the wage she promised at the beginning, i wanna leave, i hate this country, this people...i havent left case im waiting until i save enough money for paying at least the ticket cost...but im counting down...i just cant wait"


That was the first and only time i saw Luz. Two weeks after, i came back to the salon and i didnt see her, so i asked the manager and all what she said was that the police went to the salon surpresily and had deported her, that she was may be in Colombia or in jail.


(Panama receives more ilegal immigrants form Colombia and Venezuela than any other country in the region. The government has no mechanisms designed to face the situation and provide the legalization opportunities, proper employment, job security and adequate incomes that any person deserves)

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Suscribirse a Enviar comentarios [Atom]

<< Inicio